Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Sixth Month Mark

We've officially been out of the states for six months now. This is the longest I've ever been away from my family in my whole life. Speaking of the length of my life...I am now a quarter of a century old...I like saying that...it makes me feel well seasoned in life. :) Paul and I are the same age until September 16th when he celebrates his 26th b-day.
Paul's coming home tomorrow!!!!! I'm so so SO excited to see him. It's been almost 2 months to the day since he left for his field training. These past two months of separation have been a time of growth and practice for us. What do I do when I get in a fender bender and my husband is not around? What do I do when I need to change a light bulb out of reach, or the computer goes kaput, or I need to find a solution to squeaky brakes or a leak in the car? What happens when I'm unable to talk with Paul for a week or more? All of these questions are important; it's necessary to prepare, especially for a time when my husband will be gone for a whole year; but to have these thoughts crowding up my brain, running around up there like little foxes trying to ruin the vineyard (Song of Solomon 2:15), this is not right. The resounding answer to all of my foxes has been to shoo them away with TRUST. I cannot boast in tomorrow, the future is unknown to myself, and I long to be able to fully rely on God...to responsibly, and joyfully value the present (Jeremiah 10:23, Psalm 142:3).




On a joyful note, last weekend, I went to Austria with my friend Missy to go white water rafting, canyoning, and hiking. :) We had such an adventurous time and conquered some of our fears of jumping off high rocks and splashing through freezing water (wetsuits were helpful for that).


3 comments:

jill said...

Heidi!! I am so glad to hear that you and Barbara were able to visit each other. It's amazing how God worked it out for you to be in the SAME group in our BSF class. Speaking of, we start up on Monday - I am really excited! Oh and I started nursing school two weeks ago and have been thinking of you. :) Miss you and enjoyed reading your updates. ~jill

Team Molina said...

Yeah for six months in Europe! It looks like you had a great time in Austria. We were hoping that we were going to be white water rafting at the same place as you that weekend but we were at another location. We look forward to having you guys at our house in a few days!

Sprinkles4Lisa said...

Hey Heidi!
I talked to Paul on Google Chat the other day while you guys were in Italy- how crazy is that?!
I miss you two but hope you are having a blast!
Ride on a gondola for me and don't forget to kiss while going under the bridge!!